Monday 25 July 2011

ideacious

I have no problem coming up with ideas for products. That’s the easy part. Designing and making prototypes is also a comparatively simple process.

The hard part comes when trying to turn it into an actual product. Mainly the financial aspect of course.

I’ve shown some products on various outdoor and tactical gear forums and the response has been really favourable. A whole bunch of people asking me for one, asking when I’m going to produce them commercially.

Now for me to go into manufacturing them my self is likely not so feasible. I haven’t the right machinery, and to set up a proper facility would not be a cheap endeavour. To purchase the materials in a quantity that would make it economical would likely take a sizable outlay of capital. I also haven’t the space to set up a facility, so another expense. And making stuff here in Canada would put me at a disadvantage to companies that send all of their manufacturing to Asia.

Another thing that gives me pause for thought is knowing several guys similar to me – they had a few great ideas, an obvious design sense and ability to see their idea through into a physical manifestation, so they start selling stuff. Their thought was that their little enterprise would slowly start to build. Within a very short time, most of them were totally snowed under because of positive word of mouth. And all that positive word of mouth will sour just as quickly, when you’re totally incapable of keeping up with orders. I know one guy who went from enjoying tinkering in his basement and making some gear for his buddies, to hiring 14 people and moving three times to ever larger facilities, all within one year! Worse problems to have, but certainly something to be aware of – that a small business might just burgeon well beyond your wildest expectations and abilities. 

I’ve given some thought to having some of the other gear makers I know do piece work for me – get them to make a small quantity and sell them. Take that money and have some more made, and so on. But, the initial outlay of funds, plus the cost of having to advertise, etc. It always keeps coming down to money.

A product designer friend apprised me of http://www.kickstarter.com. Great way to get some initial funding for your good idea. The only drawback to Kickstarter is that it is only for people in the USA. Damn.

The same friend just informed me of http://www.ideacious.com. Appears to be Toronto based, and while a little more household goods oriented, it seems like an interesting premise that bears some further investigation.


The founder, Joshua Brassé, seemed to face the same issues trying to bring his ideas to fruition – funding, sourcing, protection, legal and safety considerations, plus a number of other hurdles. What he devised was a community-based venue that determines demand before supply. It brings together creators, buyers, and service-providers.

No comments:

Post a Comment