Saturday 11 January 2014

The nature of a relationship

It hit me like an icepick in the forehead yesterday. Because it is so obvious and that it had never occurred to me before.

“You’d better love me.
I know what you’re up to.
I can hurt you.
If you disobey me, there will be consequences.
I’m watching you.
You belong to me.
I’ll punish you if you don’t do what I command you to.
Your life was incomplete until I came into your life.
I can cause your death.
If you don’t love me and only me I’ll punish you.
I’ll always be here.
If you leave me I’ll kill you.
Only I can love you as much as I do.”

What am I describing here? What do these words sound like? A relationship with god, or a relationship with an abusive boyfriend/husband?


Yet proselytizing religious types want us to believe that we should enter into a relationship with this “entity”. Or fundamentalists convince us that this entity is real, and that we have no say in the matter of having a relationship with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment