Wednesday 10 June 2015

Broken Buckle

Walking home from work, my bag suddenly and without warning ended up on the ground.

I know the hardware (plastic - metal not so much) will be the first thing to break. Given that I’ve been using this bag in frequent rotation for about 3 years now, it seems that’s its breaking point. I carry anywhere between five to 20, 25, 30 pounds in it for hours a day. They were quality buckles (National Molding Rock Locksters), but they reached their limit in that time and under those loads.

Being the very prepared guy I am, I just so happened to have some para-cord and crash shears with me to rig up something to allow me to continue carrying it over my shoulder till I got home.
Not pretty, but good enough to last for a while.

(Addendum. Since the straps were sewn right into the bag, the only easy fix was to just cut off the remains of the buckle and sew a loop of webbing onto the webbing that was there with a new buckle.)


No comments:

Post a Comment