Wednesday 19 May 2010

6° of History Teacher


I’d met Carren a few times through my friend Michelle at shows. Michelle and I were at a concert and I mentioned how I needed a veterinary second opinion, and/or needed a different vet. 
“Oh talk to Carren. She works for a vet, who happens to also be her next door neighbour.”
I pull out my little phone book to write her name and number down, and ask for her full name so I can put it under the correct letter.
“Carren Elder.”
“Hey my grade 7 and 8 history and geography teacher was named Elder.”
“Uhm...was his name Nelson by any chance?”
“Yeah!”
“That’s her dad!”

He was one of my favourite teachers. In grade 7 history I ended up with, get this, 109 as my final mark. I got perfect on all the tests, one mark short of perfect on the exam, and then he also had a bonus project that people who were doing really bad could do for some extra marks. The project was on Vikings. Uh, hello? Vikings? Awesome! How could I not do something on that!? So I did that as well. Got perfect on it. He said it was the highest mark anyone had ever gotten in all his years of teaching.

Carren and I get on really well, and I’ve been at their house a bunch of times over the years. Kind of funny hanging out with your childhood teacher as an adult. I kept referring to him as Mr. Elder.
“It’s all right, you can call me by my given name you know.”
“Okay Mr. Elder. I mean Nelson.”

And in another funny small world twist, my girlfriend was in a choir that Carren’s mother was in also. The two of them got along very well. Amusing when the connection emerged.

No comments:

Post a Comment