Thursday 31 May 2012

Lost & Found

I’m (surprise, surprise) working on building my hopefully last, meaning the perfect, bushbumming set up. So, my setup is in a bit of disarray as things are taken off their usual setups so I can figure out where things need to go, etc.

I went for a wander in the woods with my nephew last weekend to teach him some stuff about navigation and fire starting. I took all my usual kit, and some loose, small pouches just got put inside my Kifaru Express. Came home, and couldn’t find my Leatherman Wave 2004. During a break during the hike I took off my pack and noticed that the bottom zipper was open a little bit. At the time I didn’t think it was large enough for any thing to have worked its way out. When I couldn’t find the Wave, I reconsidered. Was it big enough for it to have come out through that gap? Curse words were uttered. Got up at 05:00 and hauled ass back there. The chances of finding back a small olive drab pouch on a forest floor with a lot ground cover over a route I wasn’t step for step certain about, was slim to nil, but I had to try. No luck. More curse words. I know it’s replaceable, but I haven’t much money, and would rather spend it on something else. Curses!

This morning I found it in my bedroom behind another pack. I had never taken it in the first place. I squealed with joy. I held it to my cheek. I kissed it.  I’m not ashamed to say that. I love my Leatherman Wave.

No worse feeling than losing something, and no better feeling than finding it back.

1 comment:

  1. That is a nice feeling, isn't it?

    As for the Wave, could you attach a lanyard to it and affix it to your belt? I have a really nice steel chain one that I picked up. Do you have the optional pocket clip you can attach to it? I usually carry my Wave in my right front pocket--but that thing is a weighty beast.

    ReplyDelete