Monday 5 November 2012

Bibliophilia: Wooden Ship: The Art, History, and Revival of Wooden Boatbuilding by Peter H. Spectre

Wooden Ship: The Art, History, and Revival of Wooden Boatbuilding – Peter H. Spectre

Building wooden boats is something I’ve long been interested in , and apparently for about 200 years on my dads side of the family, all the men were ships carpenters in Amsterdam. My kayak building activities of late have only fueled my interest. Although I realize now that what I built is cabinetry compared to the log frame building of the ships of hundreds of years ago. I made a piece of floating furniture; they made a floating log cabin.

Gorgeous photography throughout that chronicles everything from the dug out to luxurious power cruisers, and everything in between. I enjoyed the large sections on the building of recreations of Viking longships and the Susan Constant and the Batavia, (a ship some of my ancestors may have worked on originally), best of all. Anyone with an appreciation of boats and/or fine craftsmanship will enjoy this. I got it out of the library, but it’s so good I want to hunt down a coy for my own library.

No comments:

Post a Comment