Sunday 16 November 2014

Bibliophilia: The Fish in the Forest: Salmon and the Web of Life – Dale Stokes

The Fish in the Forest: Salmon and the Web of Life – Dale Stokes

If I was forced to choose just one section of the Dewey Decimal System that I could take with me to a deserted island, I think the natural history section might well be it. Some of my most cherished books are my modest collection of nature guides, and books about various aspects of nature. 

Having just finished Wolves in the Land of Salmon, seeing this at the library was perfect timing. Both deal with a keystone species in the north western part of North America. There is a little bit of overlap between the two books, and it’s really great to read both perspectives on the impact they have on eco-systems.

Salmon are fascinating.

And I get to read great obscure words like kype (the pronounced hook on the jaw of spawning stage male salmons), parr (the stage of a salmons life between fry and smolt), redd (a spawning nest dug by the female salmons tail), anadromy (migration from salt water to fresh water), semalparity (a single reproductive episode before death).

I just love books that allow me to learn a little more about how entire systems work - not just info about a given species. When effort is made to present what is known and how it all plays a part in a bigger picture scenario – I really appreciate that.

Nicely designed with lots of photos.

http://www.ucpress.edu/book.php?isbn=9780520269200

No comments:

Post a Comment