Saturday 26 March 2011

Kifaru Scout

Thought I’d throw up a few pics of my much loved Kifaru Scout. It’s about the first iteration of it. There were several changes to it before they even came out with the 2nd Generation version, but this was the start. One of the major changes from mine was that the belt was a detachable one in later versions. Mine is attached to the body of the pack. Doesn’t bother me any. 

Supremely comfortable lumbar pack. I’ve carried 45 lbs. in it without any difficulty. That it only covers the waist, and a bit of the lower back makes it really comfortable for wear in summer. And to be honest, I find it more of a summer time pack just due to its capacity. Later in the year, more layers become an issue and their bulk makes them difficult to fit, and at that point I will switch over to the Express. I can mount pouches to the outside of the Scout to carry some of the required extra items or attach a jacket or sweater to the outside. But carrying too much on the outside of the pack isn’t so feasible. Both in terms of weight then being further out from the body, but also just due to bulk. Trying to move through a forest with a wide load and stuff that gets snagged like jackets and sweaters bungeed to the outside doesn’t work so well. Given the amount of bushwhacking I do, I strive to keep everything as streamlined as possible.
Great day trip on Burnt Island Lake in Algonquin, exploring the shoreline. Moving along that driftwood and boulder playground, jumping from tree to rock, clambering over stumps and under trees, a sleek lumbar pack allowed me to stay very balanced and move around a tricky environment very easily. (photo by Jason Irwin.) 
Oh to bottle a moment in time. Atop a ridge in the French River area, boiling up water for dinner. The Scout (and my buddy Jay’s ThermaRest chair) made for a pretty decent windbreak. One instance where I mounted a bunch of pouches to the outside. (photos by Jason Irwin.)
Another instance where I mounted a bunch of pouches to the outside, but still fitting very nicely in the stern of the canoe. Waiting out the wind on George Lake in Killarney.
Coasting in Killarney. Wedged in the middle.
(photos by Jason Irwin.)
Hiking in Killarney.
Getting my bearings in Killarney. (photo by Jason Irwin.)
Exploring along the Niagara Escarpment.
The capacity of the Scout is a bit over 20 liters (1300 cubic inches) and weighs just shy of a kilogram (2 lbs.). (Funny how the pack looks almost foliage green in these pictures, but it is actually olive drab.)
The bungee cord I added myself.
There are 5 rows of PALS, with 14 channels going around the body of the pack.
One of the differences between the one I have and the newer models is that panel in the back would lower to give access to the removable belt. Since the version I have is attached, the panel merely allows the belt to be put in behind it if you want the belt out of the way. The shoulder straps can also be stored away in there.
Another change in later editions is that the two straps across the top (which are extensions of the shoulder straps) are not there any more.  I use them to stash a jacket and the like underneath, but the PALS that graces the top of the pack now is probably much more useful.
Port for a hydration bladder tube, and the pocket in the back for the bladder. The size of the Scout means that really only about a 2 liter bladder will fit in. Adding a bladder will of course take up a chunk of the room inside of the pack.
Carrying a very minimal load that day. MEC Tarn2 footprint for ground sheet, Exped Si Cushion 3.1, First Aid Kit, Survival Tin, MEC Hydrofoil 3 rain pants. Oh and a bladder and some maps.

I bought it off king of the assclowns, TacSit, since it’s not like he really needed it. He had bought it off of someone else. When the bar tacking in a few places started to come loose, I mentioned it in passing to Mel in a phone conversation. 
“Send it in. We’ll fix it for you.”
I did and asked if they could please also fix the waist belt, as I think the original purchaser had about a 28" or 30" waist. Since I’m a 36" waist, I asked if they could replace it with some longer webbing. Not only did they fix the few bits of bartacking that were faulty, they redid all the bartacking , and added longer webbing. I wasn’t even the original purchaser, and they did it, no charge. Great customer service.

Have I mentioned that I really love Kifaru?

You can piggyback the Scout onto larger packs, which I have done once or twice. But only for quick hops. No way would I want to hike any great distance with it set up like that. The balance is thrown off too much. Even with a super light load in it, it just feels off.

I’ll try to get some more pics up soon. One or two of the inside, and a few of the sort of loadout that can be carried in it.

All in all, really superb pack. Like I said, it fares better in warmer temps, and shorter duration trips. But for a day hike, there really is no other pack that I have enjoyed more. Makes it very easy to carry stuff and allows it to feel almost effortless.

No comments:

Post a Comment