Wednesday 13 March 2013

S.o.t.D. - The Wrong Name and The Wrong Number – Mark Stewart and the Maffia

The Wrong Name and The Wrong Number – Mark Stewart and the Maffia

Crunchy industrial dub, with some William S. Burroughs samples thrown in for good measure.

My strange brush with fame comes in the form of going to the RPM club to see Mark, Gary Clail, Tackhead et al., on my birthday. The show fell during the time that the G-7 summit was going on in Toronto. I went to the washroom, and while at the urinal I see a lanky guy standing next to me. Out of the corner of my eye I see that it is Mark Stewart. At the same time two uniformed RCMP officers come into the washroom, look around, push open the doors to the stalls, look inside and leave. Given Mr. Stewarts agit-prop music with its undercurrent of paranoia, I thought this was a little freaky. Not wanting to look like a total dork, I didn’t talk to Mark while we had our dicks in our hands. At the sinks though he struck up a conversation with me. Sure enough his paranoid tendencies were tweaked by the sight of Canada’s national police. We chatted for a minute, told him I loved his stuff, was looking forward to the show and if he could please pass along to the other lads how much I loved their stuff.

Still one of the best shows I’ve ever had the pleasure of attending.

No comments:

Post a Comment