Tuesday 8 September 2015

Signage: Novelty Shoe Rebuilders

I lamented the other day (with the closing of Active Surplus on Queen Street), how Toronto is just becoming a miasma of blandness. All the cool little shops and buildings that made it a really fun place to visit and live are being torn down for banal condo towers, each one replete with a Shopper’s Drug Mart and Second Cup on the ground floor.

All the grit is being polished away. I appreciate imperfection. I like old and rough around the edges. Case in point. The signage for “Novelty Shoe Rebuilders”. I suspect they were already there the first time I ever wandered up Yonge Street in the early 80’s. I wonder how long it will be before they’re replaced by a hip coffee enema bar, or a Ghanaian/Peruvian fusion restaurant. Neither of which will last for a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment