Thursday 24 September 2009

Halton County Bruce Trail Hike

Back in the spring I got dropped off on Walker’s Line above the Escarpment and walked back home. I’d never been that far out on the Bruce Trail, since my jaunts usually take me in the direction of the Dundas Valley. Beautiful day, with the trilliums just starting to bloom.

It did make me both sad and angry though to see the amount of smashed glass bottles and other garbage all over the place. I had a plastic bag and gloves with me, so I did my best to clean up what I could. But there was so much of it, in so many spots, that I soon ran out of space in my pack for garbage. It worries me that being so close to an ever burgeoning urban area, that more and more sections of the Bruce Trail will be closed off by understandably angry land owners. The sad part of it is that the people causing this mess, don’t identify themselves as hikers or nature lovers or bird watchers or anything like that. And even sadder is that if land owners deny access to the people like me who are as upset about it as they are, and who make some effort to remedy the situation, it won’t stop the real perpetrators of these sorts of obnoxious acts. Teenagers looking for a place to have a bush bash will continue to defile forests with their antics.
Trilliums in bloom along the trail.
For those who don’t know, trilliums are Ontario’s official flower. Most are white, but some do have a pinkish tinge to them.
It blooms for a short time in May...
....often covering large swathes of forest floor.
Looking out over the edge of the Escarpment. Burlington and Oakville in the distance, and Lake Ontario beyond that.
At one point, I came round a corner and down the steps on the right and see a tree fort right in front of me. Nice place for a fort, I thought.

Immediately to my left I see a rock face. Wow that kid has a really nice spot for a tree fort, I thought.
I walked a ways further along the path....
And then I turn and see this view. Wow. That kid is really lucky, I thought.
I walk a bit further and see this vista spread out before me. Creamy! I’ll bet these people get a lot of offers for this piece of property. The house that’s on it, is nothing out of the ordinary, but the view is spectacular. The Trail pretty much goes right through their back and front yard. Thank you for the privilege.

No comments:

Post a Comment