Wednesday 16 September 2009

Camozy

For some time now I’ve been making my own backpacking meals, dehydrating them, putting them in freezer bags, and then when I get to where I’m going, boiling water to rehydrate them over some form of stove (alcohol or wood), and then letting it simmer in a cozy.

Can’t say enough good things about this approach.

I’ve tried it all – Quite often I'll just bring stuff I don't even have to cook - nuts, granola bars, jerky, flat bread, cheese, fresh veggies. Simple, and negates the need for a stove and fuel, but often times in shoulder seasons, a warm meal is a real morale booster. Indian boil in the bag curries. Convenient, but heavy, laden with salt and very oily. MREs and IMPs. Convenient - everything is right there for a day - but they’re heavy and are laden with preservatives. I’ve been on canoe trips with people who’ve taken the “we’ll just throw a bunch of stuff in a food barrel the night before and then we’ll try and figure it out when we get there and prepare gourmet meals from scratch over an open fire” approach. Which turns into a complete clustercopulation. Never again. Freeze dried meals are a step in the right direction and some are quite good, but some of them are profoundly awful. I don’t mean they aren’t that delicious, I mean they’re pretty much inedible. And I’m really not that picky an eater. They’re too pricey for me to be able to pick up one of each to try out before I head off somewhere. And the portion sizing is often kind of wonky – many of them are billed as feeding two people, but they’re too much for one person, and not enough for two people. Not to mention crazy amounts of packaging.

When I started to learn the potential of using a dehydrator – that I could do more with it than simply preserving fruit and making jerky, that I could do actual complete meals as well – there was no looking back. I make so much of my other stuff – stoves, pot stands, wind screens, pots, quilts, under quilts, stuff sacks, pouches, etc.) why not extend that DIY ethic to the food I’m lugging around as well. This way I know what I’m getting, I know I’ll be eating something I like. I can control the portion size. I can control the salt and fat level. I can keep the cost down. I can use ingredients that I have grown or foraged or hunted. I have a lot less packaging. All in all, I will never look back from this approach.

While the stove is obviously an important element of this, today we’re going to look at the cozy. Many alcohol stoves are light and simple and efficient, but they are pretty much just for boiling water. Simmering isn’t really an option. Some designs do allow for a sort of simmering, but then there is also the aspect of using up fuel. In days past, a straw or hay box
was a familiar item in a kitchen. Wood stoves were also limited in their ability to adjust to a range of temperatures, so meals would be brought to a boil and then placed in a straw or hay lined box, straw or hay would be heaped over the pot and allowed to sit inside it for a period of time. A very low tech simmer. A cozy is pretty much the same idea. Boil the water, pour it in the bag, put it in the cozy and let it simmer in there for however long you like. And letting it simmer for an hour or so, makes a meal truly fantastic. Quite often what I’ll do is boil water as I’m packing up, put the water in the bag, put the bag in the cozy and set off. An hour or two later, I’ll have a break and eat my breakfast. In the evening it’s the reverse – I’ll boil water and all that as I set up for the night, have a schmoke break, enjoy the view for a while, then have dinner.

I had made a cozy from aluminized bubble wrap used to insulate pipes and the silver tape used to hold it in place. It worked, but it wasn’t really durable and there was also the aspect of it being silver. Given my proclivity to camp in out of the way places, I want to try and remain as visually low key as possible.

I had thirty yards of MarPat nylon, so I went out and got some Insul-Bright, the material used for oven mitts and tea cozies. Super simple sewing project and it was a fun afternoon of sewing with my mom. Contrary to the other one I made, this one can be folded, smushed, stuffed. It isn’t nearly as fragile.
Even the cat thinks it’s so cool she takes a break from hunting stuff to check it out.
The cozy is made to fit medium size freezer bags. No other size is needed.
I stopped buying any of the Mountain House or Backpacker’s Pantry meals years ago, but I still had a meal from Mary Jane Farms. It fits in there perfectly as well.  I suspect that some of the other commercial brands have packaging that’s too big to fit in this particular cozy, but these are really easy to make. Making one to fit a brand you happen to like and use wouldn’t be difficult. Or you can transfer the contents to a smaller freezer bag as well.

The other thing that is kinda neat about this cozy is that it serves as a rudimentary oven mitt  to grab hot pot handles.

3 comments:

  1. Camozy and clustercopulation.. your wordsmithing has me tickled!

    I'm just a random visitor... hope you don't mind. I found you through some convoluted blog surfing.

    Really interesting reading. You're quite the engineer! I'm sold that you could pretty much take over the world, and everything in it would have its own perfect little compartment. You'd laugh at my "primitive" camping experiences. One involved Duraflame logs, heh. But sleeping under the stars can't be beat.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    And I have no desire to take over the world. I have no such megalomaniacal tendencies. I just want a little workshop far away from everything and everyone, where I can tinker to my hearts content, and then go roam around and try out the stuff that I’ve made.

    And I wouldn’t laugh at your camping experience. We all start somewhere, and as long as you had a good time, it was good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you know, I was just being facetious. :) But I really do admire your ingenuity and the meticulous thought that goes into your equipment. Plus, a dude that sews? Right on.

    We wised up a bit on the second camping trip and brought smudge pots instead, just for light, but I'm sure there's a better solution to building a beach fire when there's no driftwood to be found. Those trips rank up there with my favorite experiences, so you're right - it's good. I'd say I wish I could sleep on the sand with the waves rolling in every night, but I'm a little (ok, a lot) too prissy for that. =)

    ReplyDelete