Sunday 6 September 2009

Saw’mups

The Bahco Laplander is a really superb folding saw. I’ve cut a small forest worth of wood with it and it’s still going strong. I do like a pouch of some sort for it though. This is actually the fourth pouch I’ve made for it. Constant evolution and all.
The sheath is fairly deep , and only a small part of the saw handle peeks out, so getting a purchase on it is a bit tricky at times, especially when wearing gloves. So I added a cobra knot sinnet to it. Gives me something to grab onto and makes pulling it out easier.
While there are times when I may carry this pouch alone, the idea was to have the Prune’mups mounted to the face of it. Hence the PALS webbing on the front.
Surface mount buckle on the flap. They’re a bit bulkier, and mounting them is a bit trickier, but I like them.
Close-up of the opening. The idea of using a strap of webbing to form both the back of the pouch and the flap isn’t really new, but this is the first time I’ve used the technique. I had made a pouch very similar to this but using a piece of material as the back and flap and then finishing it off with edge tape. Didn’t really like the end result so much. Decided to take it apart and redo it. Looks much sharper now. The webbing is actually doubled over, and makes for a more rigid shape to the pouch.
Doubling over the webbing allows the mounting hardware from the surface mount side release buckle to be hidden away.
Closeup of the webbing flap. The whole thing was sewn by hand on the daily train commute.
I put a drain hole on the bottom, and then covered it with a little piece of webbing. This allows water to drain out, but acts to prevent dirt and sand getting in.
Back showing the PALS webbing. I put it all the way along the back, partly to allow it to be mounted high or low and also to add some stiffness to the pouch.
The back showing the Malice Clip attachment.
Even the frogs dig my saw.

2 comments: